This is an artistic re-creation of a late 19th-century magic shop in Oxford Street, London owned by dealer Joseph Bland. Many a child – and grown-up – would have pressed their nose to the window, entranced by its contents. After Bland’s death in 1898 his business was taken over by Hamley’s which retains a magic department to this day.
Although some specialist magic shops still exist, inevitably most dealers, as they are called, operate on the internet. Back in the day, ‘bricks and mortar’ magic shops were where experienced magicians and hobbyists would cross paths to discuss ideas and buy new props.